Monday, June 1, 2020

You are Beautiful

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight." 1 Peter 3:3-4 NIV


I had just gotten done walking with friends at the park Saturday morning when I saw the words, "You are Beautiful" written with sidewalk chalk on the path before me. "Oh my," I said to myself holding back tears as my mind immediately traveled to the past, to the many times I had struggled to believe that I was pretty in any way. And to the countless times I had listened to the devil whisper lies into my ear, "You're fat. You're ugly. Your teeth are crooked. No one will ever love you." "Oh Lord," I prayed silently as I walked past those words that I now finally believe,  "Thank You for saving me from all that. Thank You for making me beautiful in Your sight and for causing me to never again doubt my worth." 

And you know, it's really not surprising that I ever felt that way or that women and young girls are still feeling that way today. Especially with social media making it more tempting than ever to buy into what the world says we must look like or dress like to be beautiful. But guess what? Our beauty - and I'm talking to you my Christian sisters - does not come from our "outward adornment... elaborate hairstyles... the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes." Our beauty comes from within. Our beauty comes from our relationship with the Father. And to Him we are not only beautiful, but we are of "great worth." Did you get that great part? That's of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above the normal or average. Wow!

So if you're feeling anything less than beautiful today, let me remind you that you are a daughter of the King. You are loved more than you will ever know by a Father that wants you to base your worth solely on who He says you are. And He says you are of priceless worth in His sight. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us today that our value and beauty is not in what we see in the mirror but in who we are in You. Help us to look beyond what the world defines as beautiful that we would be content knowing we are fearfully and wonderfully made by You, for You, and just the way You intended us to look like. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment