Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Test it against the Truth

"Do not treat prophecies with contempt, but test all things. Hold fast to what is good." 1 Thessalonians 5:20-21 BSB

Bible Study for Dec. 11: God's Word Fills My Heart - The Christian Index
While walking and talking with one of my best friends earlier this week, we had to laugh at a memory our conversation sparked. "Remember that time I got you to run a half marathon because I told you the course was flat?" "Yeesss...." he answered rolling his eyes. "The race that was really nothing but hills?" "That's the one," I replied chuckling. "I can't believe I had forgotten about those hills! For real my memory from running the race the year before told me they were flat." After we both then had a good laugh, I said, "Well I guess you should have looked at the course map instead of taking my word for it." "Yes," he replied smiling. "I guess I should have." 

And you know, this really got me thinking. Because you and I trust our friends, we will generally believe most everything they say. Likewise, because we trust our pastors and those in authority, we will generally believe most everything they say as well... without checking the facts. But as the story of the race showed, not checking the facts can can get us in big trouble. That's why Paul urged the church at Thessalonica to "test all things." That means, when it comes to spiritual matters, you and I should always check what a person says to be true against what the Bible says to be true. And then we are to "hold fast to what is good" and true and reject what is false. 

So in a world where there are so many opinions, I urge you to check the facts my friend. Compare what someone says is true against the Truth. If it doesn't align with the Word of God, then reject it because it is simply untrue, no matter how many other people agree with it or say it is so. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for giving us the Bible to guide, guard and protect us. Compel us as believers Lord to seek the Truth in all matters that we would not be led astray by false doctrines and deceiving spirits, especially in these last days when there is so much false truth in the world. Give us utter discernment in these matters Lord. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment