Tuesday, June 23, 2020

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION - The power of Encouragement

Hello runner friends! 
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series 
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog. Now let's get started by talking about how receiving encouragement and giving it back can help keep you motivated to lace up those running shoes every day. And maybe even motivated enough to tackle that race on your to-do list. 

Okay so let's talk about what it means to be motivated. If motivation is defined as the general desire or willingness of someone to do something, then many times being motivated simply requires some type of stimulus. Or something that would spur or incite someone to action. Would you agree? 

Well+Being Best of Fitness Survey Winners | Washingtonian (DC)

So what if the answer to getting that stimulus to become motivated or to stay motivated comes down to one word? Encouragement

Rock 'n' Roll Madrid Marathon

So let's look at the research published by factgoods.com that supports the belief that there is power in receiving encouragement and for giving encouragement to others. 

A new study, conducted by Y. Joel Young and colleagues at Indiana University Bloomington in 2019, was conducted to evaluate encouragement as a character quality. These researchers hoped to find a way of measuring encouragement to enhance psychologists ability to counsel their clients. According to the study, a genuine natural of encouragement is a character strength that you benefit from just as much as those being encouraged. By encouraging, people will like you more and others will like themselves, and it circulates to create an environment that represents the “good life”

According to Dr. Paul Freeman, athletic performance is not just based on natural skill and level of training, but on frame of mind. Dr. Freeman claims that athletes value from words of encouragement from professionals, teammates and parents, though it can come from anywhere. Even something as simple as a tank top with the motivational quote “YOU CAN DO IT”, can go a long way.

running | Best Race Signs | Page 24

So here's where it gets good. The researchers went on to say... 

Now that you have all of this in mind, it’s clear to see why quotes are important and how positive words of encouragement can benefit in all areas of life- school, sports, work, our relationships, and even our finances. 

Start every day with inspirational quotes, surround yourself with supporters, and enjoy the benefits of words of encouragement.


So to help you start your day off with some inspirational quotes, I asked some of my favorite supporters and the most faithful encouragers I know to share some words about encouragement and why it is so important to give and to receive it. And this is what they said... 

Encouragement is all the fuel I need. Running a 5k this past Saturday reminded me of the power of an encouraging word. As I pushed myself on the course the encouraging words of others become that much needed wind that aided me. To be reminded of my soon victory, to be acknowledged for my effort and to be inspired by their presence was all the encouragement I needed. As I was encouraged, I felt obligated to encourage others as I passed them. It costs us nothing to encourage others along the way, but to the recipient it is priceless. Be an encouragement. - Sean Wilson

Yes Sean!! When I ran my first 5k in Eldon, the encouraging words when I passed someone fueled me! I even asked some walkers if they would run with me and they did. Seeing Melissa on the way helped, then my friend came back when she finished and was telling me not to stop until I hit the finish line. All of this helped me get my PR of 34.26 minutes. It was the most amazing feeling and the most positive experience I have had in a “competition” ever!- Melissa Whittle

Running is soooooo mental! It’s easy to get in your head if you are struggling! Having others to encourage you, who are proud of you and happy for you no matter what.... you make the best friends running with an encouraging group. - Jill Sigman

I work with the XC kids and have an opportunity to encourage them daily. They are all ability levels so it can be easy to compare yourself with others. I remind them to be the best "you" you can be and don't try to be "as good as" another runner. A person's ability will sometimes vary from day to day due to any number of factors, I. E., Hydration, sleep, recovery, etc. We have to keep our expectations realistic but encouragement is the simplest thing we can do to help someone, even a complete stranger! A kind word when you are struggling can make a world of difference. I always try to be sincere in encouraging rather than "you're almost there" or "it's just around the corner. "- Tiffany Reed

Our body is a power plant and when we run out of fuel emotionally, physically, mentally, or spiritually; encouragement serves as a refueling station and puts a little more fuel in the tank to cross the finish line.- Jay Tiegs

"Run like your Grandma is watching"... Do you hear her telling you "Keep going, honey. I'm proud of you." It's what the mind needs to persevere under stress. Encouragement from others flips that extra push to speed up, keep going or don't quit. - Bri Sides

I can be on a death march pity party for myself, but there is something about someone going by and giving you positive encouragement. It is like a light switch. You suddenly start thinking, they are right, I do got this. And when your mindset changes, it is much easier to make it to the finish line. - Rachel Bowers

I really feel like that is one of the big differences in ultra runners from road runners. The ultra community is so supportive of each other and will offer food or water from their pack to fellow runners in distress or suffering in the middle of the night. I travel a lot out of state to races and can't tell you how many times I have been saved by the support I get from my friends via text or DM during a dark moment or long lonely night on a trail. It makes me stay in the game so I don't let them down also. Encouraging others cost nothing and you never know when it may just be what someone needed at that moment. If I pass a runner that is walking in an ultra, I always stop to walk with them for a moment to make eye contact and ask them how they are doing or if they need anything. Sometimes I will invite them to pick it up with me and start running again so we both benefit from the company. I have even stopped and ask the dfl if I could hug them before because I admired them so much for their effort. Never under estimate the power or your sincere encouragement or moment with someone. - Ed Green

As a back of the pack runner, it means a lot to me when people stay on the sidelines or the finish line to cheer on the final finishers. Spending so much time out on the course is physically and mentally exhausting, especially in high mileage races. Having the encouragement of the crowd gives me the strength to push through.- Rose Chapman

Do you just love these or what??

We should seize every opportunity to give encouragement. . Encouragement is  oxygen to. the soul.. George M. Adams. RipLB * 3.2… | Life quotes,  Encouragement, George

And so on a final note... I hope you will remember that words of encouragement can inspire someone to keep pressing on to the finish line when they feel like giving up. They can renew a person's spirit and strengthen their resolve like nothing else can. Encouraging words have incredible power! They truly do. So let us be known as encouragers everywhere we go... in our homes, in our places of work, and on the racecourse. Let us be a blessing to others with our speech that we might make a difference in their lives and inspire them to do the same in the lives of others. Can you just imagine the ripple effect? So get out there and encourage someone today! After all that's what runners do right??  Right!😊

No comments:

Post a Comment