Monday, June 22, 2020

I know that You are good

"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." Romans 8:28 NLT

Praise will pave way to Victory - Set Apart By His Grace
I remember vividly the events of July 21, 2019. It was a busy morning as I drove from my home in Crocker to the Bass Pro Shops in Springfield for an ambassador meeting before heading to Kansas City to join a group of friends for the Wonder Woman race that was taking place the following day. As their coach, I was beyond excited to be running with them! But my excitement soon turned into anxiousness upon receiving a call I will never ever forget from my pastor's wife and dear friend Carole."Do you think I need to call an ambulance?" she asked after worriedly explaining what Pastor John's symptoms were. "Most definitely,” I emphatically said. “Let’s hang up so you can do it right now.” And upon hearing the phone go silent, I started to cry as I earnestly and whole-heartedly began to pray for this man who I highly regarded as both a mentor and friend, a man that I loved like a brother and with whom I had served with for more than a decade.  

And while I'd like to say that it was nothing serious, it was. Pastor Shaw had suffered a stroke and had a long battle ahead of him to regain his speech, memory and strength. In fact, it would take many months of therapy for him to even be able to preach again. But one year later, praise God, Pastor John is back in the pulpit and is as strong as ever! And do you know what he said when I recently asked him what the greatest thing he had come to know because of this experience was? He said, "I know that God is good." Wow! And while you and I may not always understand the reasons the Lord allows us to experience pain, heartache, suffering, sickness and sorrow on this earth, we can trust in the promise that He will cause all those things to "work together” for our good and “for the good of those who love God." And the Lord not only worked this situation for Pastor John's good as it gave him a renewed realization of the goodness of God, but for the good of our church family who also gained a renewed realization of His goodness. 

So whatever it is you might be going through today my friend, whether it be good, bad, or even downright ugly, look up and smile. If you are a believer, you can have confidence knowing the Lord “causes everything,” that means all your struggles, problems and difficulties, to work together for your good as well. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that our pain is never wasted. You take every piece of our lives - the pretty pieces and the ugly ones - and form them into a masterpiece that is a unique work of art. Knowing this, help us to trust You in all situations and to declare with our lips and with our lives what we know to be true... that You are good, at all times and in all situations. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment