Sunday, June 21, 2020

True contentment is priceless

"Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth. After all, we brought nothing with us when we came into the world, and we can’t take anything with us when we leave it. So if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content." 1 Timothy 6:6-8 NLT

Why I'm Obsessed with the Fits Light Runner Socks | Outside Online
"Oh no!" I cried as I rummaged through my backpack looking for socks early Saturday morning. Having just finished up a session of ‘yoga in the park’, I was wearing sliders and needed to quickly transition into running shoes for the run that was to immediately follow; a run that I was leading. "Oh boy," I said again out loud as I remembered putting them into my running shoes the night before but deciding at the last minute to bring a different pair. At the realization that my socks were still at home, I began to pray, "Lord I just know there's a pair of socks in this van. Can you help me find them?" And indeed there was a pair of socks! As I dug through a bag a friend had asked me to drop off at the thrift store but had forgotten about, I found a pair that must have belonged to her husband. They were way too big and pretty worn out but guess what? After a few adjustments, they worked! And all I could say was, "Thank you Jesus. I just knew You would give me socks." 

And how did I know with such certainty that the Lord would provide you might ask? Because in the many years since making the decision to follow Christ with my whole heart, He has NEVER failed to provide for my needs. Not once. Now I haven't always gotten everything I've ever wanted but I have always gotten everything I've ever needed. And do you know what else? I've found that by being content with only what I need like having just "enough food and clothing," to get by that I am really in need of very little. In fact, I've come to know that all I really need is Jesus. It's no wonder then that Paul, who felt the same way, said that "true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth." You see, contentment is defined as a state of happiness and satisfaction. And if that state, or particular condition we are in, is based solely on the state of our relationship with Jesus Christ, it can not be taken away and is not dependent on the things we have or own - which means the state of being truly content is priceless. 

So if you find yourself discontent with life today, I urge you to seek the Lord with all your heart my friend. He is the only source of true happiness and satisfaction and He longs to give you what you need. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for being our source of peace and contentment in a world that says we need things and riches to be happy. Oh Lord, let our hearts be satisfied with having only our needs met that we wouldn't be distracted to seek the things we want, which is a pursuit that leads believers astray. Help us to be content with having You and You alone God. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment