Sunday, May 31, 2020

God gives us perfect peace

"Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7 NLT

Soaring Up In Sunshine: April 2016
With a heavy heart, I set out at sunrise yesterday morning intent on logging some much-needed miles before church. But once again I began considering all the chaos going on in the world and I was tempted to check the news for updates as I made my way along the trail. "Don't do it Melissa," I felt the Spirit say. "Don't waste this precious time alone with Me concentrating on the negative things happening around you, pray about those things instead. Don't give worry a foothold." And you know what? I'm so glad I listened to His voice. Spending that time in prayer, filled me with "God's peace” rather than the anxiety that always accompanies worry and is harmful to our physical, spiritual and mental health. 

In fact, worrying is so bad for you and me that Paul urged us not to "worry about anything" but to "pray about everything." Why? Does prayer always change our circumstances? No. But it always changes the way we look at them. You see, when you and I choose to pray, we choose to trust God. We choose to give Him those burdens we weren't meant to carry. We choose to say, "Lord, my heart is troubled from the numerous reports of disease, death, dissension and destruction that are in our world today but I know You are greater than all those things. Thank you for taking my anxious thoughts and replacing them with your perfect peace." 

So if you find yourself worrying today, you're not alone my friend. It's reported that suicide hotlines have seen an increase of 800 percent in calls. But guess what? If you've placed your trust in Jesus Christ, you have no need to worry about anything - something the Lord will assure you of when you reach out to Him in prayer. Won't you do that today? 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that prayer brings us perspective by bringing us into your presence where You make Yourself known and remind us that You are bigger than any giant we might be looking at. You remind us that You are sovereign and that nothing is out of your control. And You give us the peace we so desperately need that guards our hearts and minds. And for that Lord, we thank You. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment