Tuesday, March 19, 2019

The danger of pride

"Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall." Proverbs 16:18 NIV


Image result for person tripping pic

With less than two weeks until the Prairie Spirit 100-mile race, I've begun doing my last runs simulating the run/walk (90 seconds running/30 seconds walking) method I will need to use in order to finish a race of this distance. But in order for this technique that's designed to reduce stress on the body and mind therefore allowing a runner to run long distances to work as it should, it has to be done from start to finish. I know this full well and yet what I found myself doing yesterday morning was so stupid! Several times when people would pass, I would ignore the intervals and pick up the pace. Couldn't have anyone thinking I was walking now could I? "Oh Melissa," I scolded myself. "You better get over yourself. That kind of pride will lead to your failure." 

And you know what? That wouldn't be the first time pride, or the feeling or belief that a person is more important than they really are, caused someone to stumble. The Bible is full of stories of people who allowed pride to lead to their destruction. You see, proud people fail to see their own weaknesses, believing they are better than the average person - smarter, more talented, and certainly above making mistakes. And it's this distorted view of themselves that ultimately leads to their fall as Solomon clearly knew when he wrote, "Pride goes before destruction..." 

So be careful not to harbor a "haughty spirit" my friend. That kind of attitude, defined as blatantly and disdainfully proud or having or showing an attitude of superiority and contempt for people or things perceived to be inferior, will most certainly lead to your fall.

Heavenly Father, forgive us for being prideful. Help us to see ourselves as we really are, capable of nothing on our own and dependent on You for everything we are and everything we have. Help us to always stay humble and kind, following the example of Jesus, that we might lead others to the foot of the Cross by our speech and our behavior. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Humble and kind - Tim McGraw

No comments:

Post a Comment