Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Let your light shine on Him

“In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.” Matthew 5:16 NLT



“Oh my goodness!” I said out loud yesterday. It was one of the darkest mornings I had experienced all winter and yet the combination of the bright headlamp I received for Christmas and the new chestlamp I recently purchased on a whim lit my path so well that I was almost able to run at my normal pace despite the lack of sunlight. Still marveling at the brightness of this light I had never experienced before on a run, I felt the Lord speak to me, “Remember Melissa, the light has to go before you, never behind you, at all times if you are to truly serve Me and bring Me the glory I am due.” “Oh I get it!” I shouted and then quietly prayed, “Lord may I never seek the praise for the things You have allowed me to do. But let my light shine so bright that others can't help but give you the praise for those “good deeds.” I am nothing and can do nothing without you God.”

And you know, even Christians forget sometimes that everything they are, everything they have acquired, and everything they have ever accomplished is because of God's grace in their lives. In fact, in a world that has seemingly forgotten God and applauds the self-made man instead, it’s become quite acceptable to accept praises for what we have done. But the Bible is very clear that we can do nothing without God and so are to let “our good deeds shine out for all to see so that everyone will praise” our “Heavenly Father.” Did you get that part my friend? So that God will get the praise and not us?

So if the Lord has blessed you by allowing you to accomplish or acquire something great, go ahead and tell somebody. But when they respond with, “Congratulations!” or “You really did a great job,” don’t neglect to say, “All glory to God. It was by His grace.” Because, you can be sure, it most certainly was.

Heavenly Father, thank you for all that You do through us and for us. Help us to never steal the praises for ourselves but to shine our light so that others would praise You and be drawn to the foot of the Cross. Help us to remember that You allow us to do great things only to bring You glory and to lead others to salvation. It’s in your precious Name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment