Monday, January 20, 2020

Follow the example of Jesus

"As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen." Matthew 4:18 NIV

Image result for checking out at store pic

After Saturday morning's run with friends, I couldn't wait to get some of my favorite coffee to warm up. So after ducking into the convenience store and grabbing my hot cup of java, I headed to the counter to pay. Digging out some change, I stopped when I realized what I was doing. "Oh please forgive me," I said to the cashier as I told my friend who I was talking to that I would call her back. "That was totally rude of me to be talking on the phone while paying," I said. "It's fine," the young lady said seemingly shaking it off. "People do it all the time." "No it's not fine," I replied now looking intently into her eyes, "You need to know that you are important. You really are." Now smiling, she looked at me just as intently and said, "Wow. No one's said anything like that to me in a long time." 

And you know, as I walked out of that convenience store it was all I could do not to cry at the realization that we, myself included, are not really seeing people anymore. Too absorbed in our own lives and social media, we interact with people without really interacting with them - something Jesus never did. In fact, when "Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers..." Did you get that? Jesus saw these fishermen because he was walking in God's will and open to the direction and prompting of the Father to interact with "Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew." Jesus wasn't preoccupied with His own agenda but that of the Lord! And because of this personal interaction, these men came to know Jesus and call him Savior. 

So today, may we all vow to follow the example of Jesus and preoccupy ourselves with the will of the Father above our own. And may we aspire to truly see people and interact with them the way Christ would, knowing that's the only way we are ever going to reach a lost world. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for showing me how easy it is to miss opportunities to show love and kindness to others when I am absorbed in my own life rather than my mission to serve You. Lord, renew our will and desire to put You above everything else in our lives and use us to reach the lost and comfort the hurting. It's in Your precious Name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment