Sunday, January 12, 2020

It requires total commitment

"As they were walking along the road, someone said to Jesus, “I will follow You wherever You go.'" Luke 9:57 BSB

Related image

"Are you seriously running in the pouring rain right now?" my daughter asked when she called me early Friday morning while I was navigating the flooded streets of Crocker. "Of course!" was my reply. "I've actually been out here since before the sun came up and I'm loving every minute of it!" No doubt voicing what everyone else who saw me was thinking, she said, "You're crazy." Laughing as I hung up, I couldn't help but think, "Lord, I don't care if people think I'm nuts. I will go to the ends of the earth to meet with You no matter the obstacles or storms in my path."

And you know, being a follower of Jesus Christ means so much more than just saying, "I will follow You wherever you go." It means actually being willing to follow Jesus no matter where He leads you or what trials, tribulations, difficulties or tempests you might encounter along the way. It's being totally committed no matter the cost. You see, when the "someone" who met Jesus along the road vowed to follow Him wherever He went, it soon became apparent that his words were only lip-service. That "someone" changed his mind very quickly when he realized the cost of following Jesus

Sadly, many ‘Christians’ in our world today are the same - they claim to follow Jesus but do so only when it's convenient and comfortable. But true discipleship costs everything you and I have my friend and requires an all-out-hold-nothing-back-one-hundred-percent-do-or-die-at-any-expense-daily commitment. With that in mind, are you truly willing to follow Him wherever He goes? 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the sacrifice of your Son that You provided to free us from the consequences of our sin. Help us to truly grasp the enormity and significance of that, that we would live our lives as a living sacrifice to You and follow you wherever You would lead us despite what it costs. It's in your precious Name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment