Thursday, January 23, 2020

Be ready for the attack

"Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God." Ephesians 6:17 NIV

Image result for aggressive dog and runner pic

"I don't think so," I said to myself as I took my weapon out of my pocket the moment I spotted a new dog on one of my favorite running routes Monday morning. Stopping in my tracks as the dog aggressively approached me, I repeatedly yelled, "Get back!" as I stood my ground and then slowly walked away, keeping my eyes on the canine's every move. And finally, after what seemed like an eternity, the four-legged nuisance retreated to his yard. "I'm sure glad I was ready for that one," I thought to myself, remembering the confrontation several years prior that had spurred my decision to carry protection to defend myself against any attack.

And while every runner should be prepared to fend off a dog attack since one out of every 69 people in the United States will be bitten, each and every one of us should be ready to fend off a spiritual attack - something 100 out of 100 Christians will experience each and every day. Sadly though, many believers repeatedly fall victim to these attacks because they simply aren't ready for them. So how do we get ready you might ask? By putting on the "helmet of salvation" and wielding the "sword of the Spirit” my friend. You see, the helmet guards our thoughts and the surety we have of our salvation and the sword, "which is the word of God" destroys and penetrates every lie and tactic the enemy comes against us with.  

So rather than cowering down and fearing the attack that will inevitably come, be prepared. Immerse yourself in the Word now so that when the strike happens, you'll be ready to stand firm and fight with the weapons the Lord has provided.

Heavenly Father, thank You for providing everything we need to protect ourselves against those spiritual battles that are waged against us in an attempt to cause us to sin or give up on our walk with You. Give us a renewed urgency to know the Word Lord that we might grow closer to You and be able to wield the Sword of the Spirit when the time comes. It's in Your precious Name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment