Monday, January 21, 2019

Be listening

"Then Gideon said to God, “Do not be angry with me. Let me make just one more request. Allow me one more test with the fleece, but this time make the fleece dry and let the ground be covered with dew.” That night God did so. Only the fleece was dry; all the ground was covered with dew." Judges 6:39,40


Image result for listening for god pic
Although I'm a running coach who creates training plans for others to follow, I don't follow a plan myself and never have. In fact, even as I'm preparing for another 100-mile race, I don't give training much thought. I simply pray for God to reveal the workout of the day and then listen for the Spirit's prompting. But how He revealed it to me yesterday went way beyond a simple nudge. "Lord," I said nearly 6 miles into my run. "Should I turn around now and go back home?" And just as I looked up, I saw that the water crossing in front of me was completely iced over. "Well," I thought to myself. "It sure can't get any clearer than that." 

And speaking of signs, wouldn't it be nice if you and I received a clear and immediate answer to every prayer? A sign as obvious as the one Gideon received when God answered his request to "make the fleece dry and let the ground be covered with dew?" And while many times God does reveal His will to us instantaneously and in undeniable ways like this, that's not always the case. Sometimes it takes hours, days or even months of prayer for you and I to discern the answers to our questions. 

Perhaps you've been praying for answers today and feel your prayers have gone unheard or that God doesn't care? You can be sure that He does my friend and will answer at the right time. Until then, be patient, be hopeful, be trusting, be worshipful, and most importantly... be listening. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that our prayers are not always answered as quickly or clearly as we would like. Help us to press on in prayer and continue to trust You during this time knowing that your timing is perfect. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

While I wait - Lincoln Brewster

No comments:

Post a Comment