Thursday, January 17, 2019

Be that friend

"When he arrived and saw what the grace of God had done, he was glad and encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts." Acts 11:23 NIV


Image result for friends hugging pic
Shortly before our Couch to 5k running group was scheduled to meet for our weekly workout, I received a text, "I am so upset. I won't be able to make it tonight. I REALLY NEED TO BE THERE TONIGHT because of everything that has been going on this week. I need to run and be with everyone." Thankfully, even though she didn't make it in time for the meeting, she did make it in time to run with the group. And that, she said, made all the difference. 

And you know, there will be times in each one of our lives that we will need encouragement. Times when we are under attack, undergoing a trial or just simply trying to get through the day - times when we will need a group or person to lift our spirits and motivate us to keep pressing on. Barnabas, whose name actually means 'son of exhortation,' was that type of person. The Bible tells us that he continually "encouraged" those around him to "remain true to the Lord with all their hearts." He was the type of person you and I need in our lives and the type of person you and I need to be to others. 

So when we are down, may you and I seek out those people who will lift us up and motivate us to stand firm and keep going, and may we strive to be that person to others that we might all "remain true to the Lord." After all, as J.G Whittier writes, "I'll lift you and you lift me, and we'll both ascend together."

Heavenly Father, thank You giving us friends who will walk with us through the valleys of life and who will listen to and encourage us. May each one of us strive to be like Barnabas that we might continually spur others to remain true when times are hard. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Sheltering Tree - Newsong

No comments:

Post a Comment