Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Reach out

"Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others." Philippians 2:4 ESV


Related image
As I was preparing to drive the 20 miles from my home to the neighboring town where I was planning to set up for the free 5k early morning run our fitness group (with the help of sponsors) puts on once a month, I received a text from my friend Jackie, "Still having the run?" "That's strange," I thought to myself. "Why wouldn't we be having it?" But as I got closer, it became very apparent why she had questioned whether the race might be canceled. There was a slick dusting of snow everywhere. You see, while my family and I had gotten a few flurries where we live, I was oblivious that the conditions might be different outside of my little "comfort zone." 

And you know, as Christians, we sometimes have things so good (and face it, doesn't that describe most of us?) that we forget there are others around us that don't. We forget that there are children who go to bed hungry every night, parents that struggle to keep the utilities turned on, friends that are battling cancer, and people in the midst of deep depression or addiction. Which is exactly why Paul reminded us to look not only at our own interests but "also to the interests of others." And to "look" is not just to merely glance at someone my friend. It is to truly observe, study, regard and contemplate what someone else might be going through and need.

With that in mind, may you and I take the time to truly see what's happening around us and to "look" for ways to be a blessing to those people in need today. And doing that can be as simple as praying for someone or reaching out and saying, "I know what you're going through and I care." 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that there are many people around us that are hurting, lost and in need of hope. Help us to be ever-conscious of that, that we might not miss even one opportunity to be the hands and feet of Jesus to them. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Hands and feet - Audio Adrenaline
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0UaDhHbU7w

No comments:

Post a Comment