Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year, New You


Yesterday, I read a church sign that simply said "For a new you, ask God, not the gym."

It reminded me of how many of us start our search for change in the wrong places.  The bible tells us to "seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."Matthew 6:32-34   But asking God would mean giving up control and admitting that we are unable to do it on our own.  This attitude is hurtful in so many ways.

The most dangerous outcome of that attitude is believing what the world says is best for you. God (and only God) knows what is best for us.  He knows us completely inside and out and knows specifically what we need.  We don't all fit into the same box which is how the world treats us.  Weight loss?  Here's the solution.  Depression?  Here's the pill.  Debt?  Follow these steps.  Kids or marriage in trouble?  Attend this seminar.

You see, the world treats the symptoms, God fixes the problem.  So, only by going to Him can we truly change our lives.  But, as the scripture says, we have to SEEK  Him FIRST.  And that means a daily search.  Staying focused on our goals and making the decision to follow Christ is the key to victory in our life and in every battle we face.

"Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.  All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you."
Philippians 3:12-16


Every day, we all have a decision to make.  I will admit there are days when I don't feel like running.  Sometimes I just don't feel like getting out of bed.  But, I make the choice to "press on toward the goal".  That's what is important to me and I know that I must be physically and spiritually ready to do that.  So, by seeking Him first every day, I (and you can too) find the strength and the will to be the person God wants and needs me (and you) to be. 

 It's a new year!  What are you waiting for?    God knows your heart and He knows your struggles.  This is the year and the day to let Him "fix the problem" not the symptoms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment