Monday, January 13, 2014

Setting a PR

 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”  Matthew 11:28-30


Yoke-a heavy wooden harness that fits over the shoulders of an ox or oxen.  It is attached to a piece of equipment the oxen are to pull

As a marathon runner, I have learned to only take what is necessary along for "the race."  Carrying any extra clothing, weight or supplies can be the difference between finishing a race or not.  At the very least... it can be the difference in getting a lousy time (finishing time) or setting a PR.  What's a PR you wonder? Ask a runner, and they'll tell you immediately that it's a Personal Record.  While that's great, what about a real PR?  A Personal Relationship with Jesus?   Just as in running, we need to be careful about what we think we need.  Carrying around unnecessary things will not only slow you down, it will wear you out!   Set your "eyes on the prize" and leave your burdens behind.   Fix your eyes on Jesus and run until you have that relationship your heart desires!

So, what's slowing you down?  You may be carrying burdens of sin, excessive demands or weariness in your search for God.  Let Jesus free you from all that.  His rest promises love, healing and peace with God.  While it's not a promised life of ease or one without challenges and responsibilities that weigh us down, you can trust that it's a shared yoke, with the weight falling on bigger shoulders than your own.  You are now running the race with a partner who has more pulling power!!  Woohoo!  Can you say PR?!!

Heavenly Father, please open my eyes and heart to see the unnecessary things I continue to carry.  Please help me rid myself of these so I can run with endurance the race marked out for me. Thank you for being my partner and taking my yoke.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment