Monday, January 27, 2014

Patience

Dear brothers and sisters, whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy.   For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow.  So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything.  James 1:2-4


Most of us runners can probably be described as "hyper" or at least a bit on the overdoing side of things.  It takes a different kind of mindset to repeatedly crave to push ourselves to the limit and then some.   It's our release of sorts and a way to calm our minds.  So, taking three days off has been very hard for me.  After last Saturday's race, I had a flaming case of bursitis.  The back of my right ankle was very swollen and bleeding inside.  I could actually feel the lumps along the tendon (burst bursa sacs I assume).  It felt like a blowtorch was set on it accompanied by a wire brush.  A result of too many miles too quick and a trail run in shoes that rubbed the back of my ankles.  I knew this was not going to be pretty.  But, I pushed on and ran all week through the pain.

Then, my most amazing friend (Chris Gillespie) who is an athletic trainer for the Georgia Bulldogs had a talk with me.  Since he is a runner and a Christian, I know he will only tell me to take the day off if it is an absolute must.  And.... you guessed it.  Time off=Unhappy Melissa.  I knew I would have to really stay focused and not question God.  And to remember all the times He has seen me through.  If this 100 mile race is to be finished, God will make it happen.  But this requires patience of which I normally have very little of.  Surprisingly, by focusing on God, the time has passed quickly and healing has taken place.  Praise God!

Don't resent troubles when they come.  Pray for wisdom; God WILL supply all you need to face adversity.  He will give you the patience you need and keep you strong in times of trial.   But, there's a catch.  You have to have faith in Him to receive these blessings.  Living faith is more than just a statement, it's a way of life. By faith, you wait in expectation and the hope that God loves you, is looking out for you, and is planning something better for you.  Remember, faith and character are best matured by the way you react under pressure.  It is easy to be kind to others when things are going well.  But, what about when they're not?   When you begin to feel that God is breaking you, remember that He is building you!!  Through the trials and pain, He is making you stronger.  Through His strength, not your's.

So, as I have been reminding myself, be patient.  God's got this.  Happy running!!

Heavenly Father, thank you for the lessons you are teaching us through our trials, struggles and pain.  May your presence be felt so we know we are not alone.  Please give us the knowledge to overcome these obstacles or the strength to endure them.  Thank you Lord for loving us.  Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment