Friday, January 17, 2014

Commitment

And if you do not carry your own cross and follow me, you cannot be my disciple. “But don’t begin until you count the cost. For who would begin construction of a building without first calculating the cost to see if there is enough money to finish it?    Luke 14:27-29


I am never more committed for an upcoming task than when I fully commit to it, announce that commitment and then begin working towards that goal.  With that said, I am now signed up for a 100 mile race on March 29.  Pretty crazy is what I said too.  Being in a ministry that shares our faith on the run (our pulpit is the race course), I run a lot of races most people would think too difficult to attempt.

But when a person decides to follow Christ, we know that means total submission.  In Jesus' time, if a Roman was convicted of a crime, the person was forced to carry the cross on which he/she would die.  This showed submission to Rome and warned others to do the same.  And, when a builder doesn't count the cost, or underestimates it, the building may be left uncompleted.  Too many times, Christians fail to count the cost of their commitment and leave the building vacant and unfinished. 

Following Christ does not mean a trouble free life.  On the contrary, if we are true followers, we are instructed to share our faith and bring others to Christ.  For some, this may require overseas missionary work, for others stepping out in their office.  Whatever you are called to do may not be pleasant.  But, God never said it would be easy.  He did, however, promise to be with us through it. 

The training for this run will not be easy and the race will be even harder.  But, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  I have submitted my life to Christ and I will go wherever He leads me.  And, like I always say, if even one person was reached, it was worth every mile.

Submit your life wholly to Christ and let Him show you the plans He has for you.  It won't always be easy but it will be worth it all!! 

Heavenly Father,  Please help me count the costs of following you.  Please give me the strength I will need to complete the task before me and to finish the race.  Help me to remember that you are always with me guiding my steps and keeping me safe.  Amen. 




1 comment:

  1. You are an inspiration! Thanks for sharing the Word and being in the Word.

    ReplyDelete