Sunday, January 19, 2014

Friends

 "There are "friends" who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother."  Proverbs 18:24


 In the racing world, I have seen all kind of "friends".  The ones who will knock you down to get a PR (personal record) and those that will forgo a finish if they see someone in need.  What kind of runner you are really determines where your heart is at.

I'm ashamed to say, I used to be the one who would do anything for a PR.  That was before I trusted God completely.  And, yes, that means with my running. In doing so, I have found greater joy in helping and watching other people achieve their goals than I do in reaching mine.  God continues to bless me too though!
Yesterday, I met two runners that I had run with at the 2013 Mother Road Marathon.  One I had encouraged as he struggled near the end, and one I followed for several miles and prayed for.  At the end, I waited for James to make sure he finished (I met him at the expo and knew it was his first and he was very nervous).  As he came across the finish line, with tears in his eyes, he hugged me.  I never thought I would see him or the girl I was following ever again.  Well, she was there (and took second) and James took first place!!!  So very nice to see them again. We vowed to keep in touch and, God willing, run together again.

Don't ever take for granted how words of encouragement can affect someone.  And, in your pursuit for your PR, don't forget that your ability and gifts come from God.  He gives it and He can take it away.  Slow down and be the runner God wants you to be helping your "friends" along the way.

Heavenly Father, please be with me today and help me be an encourager to those in need.  Give me the boldness and the words to help someone today.  Thank you for the air in my lungs and the ability to run.  May I never take that for granted.  In your name Jesus, Amen.  



Hope and her friend working the registration table with Alexis Varner and Maggie  




Prerace with these two sweetie pies.

Special attention-getting her cast signed.

And I'm off!!

The girls passing out water and gatorade.


Love how these girls show true friendship by helping, with a smile on their face, and a heart full of true love for the runners.  

My "friend" Cherryl Shores.  Met her a few years ago and always love seeing her.  And, she's always witnessing in her TEAM413 shirt.  

1 comment: