Saturday, January 4, 2014

Friends

Hebrews 10:24-25

New International Version (NIV)
24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Missouri weather can be very strange and unpredictable.  For instance, yesterday I ran in -10 degrees.  Quite a brisk run for sure. While this is not unusual for me, 99% of the other runners I know would have stuck to the treadmill or taken a rest day.  It seems when the weather gets bad or the temperature drops, most runners do not venture outside.

Today's temperature was a welcome relief at 29 degrees by 8am.  For this I was grateful as today was our annual church race which raises money for our missions program.  Comparatively speaking it was quite balmy (laughing), but I was still unsure of how many runners would show up as, I often need to remind myself, that warm to me is not warm to most others and running in sleet, rain, heat, bitter cold, and the list goes on, is only fun to me and a few other certifiably crazy runners I know.  So, I was pleasantly surprised that we had over 50 runners.  And, as I was talking at the start line,  I realized something.  Most everyone at the race was from our church.

And that's why todays scripture hit me.  Friends are so important in life and are such a blessing. True friends support you when it's uncomfortable, untimely or when they must sacrifice to do so.  I felt so blessed to be surrounded by this most amazing circle of friends that God provided me!  He loves me that much.  He loves us all that much.  Friends are a blessing that we often take for granted but they are the people God put specifically in our lives to show His love for us.  They are the people we will cry with, lean on, worship with and grow old with.

For your many blessings and for my amazing friends, Lord, I thank you. Don't forget to tell your friends how much they mean to you.  They are an undeserved gift from God just for you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment