Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Alone time

"After he had dismissed them, he went  up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Later that night he was there alone,"  Matthew 14:23


One of the things I treasure most about my daily runs is my alone time with the Father.  Not only is it just us but it's just us with no distractions.  No television, no children, no cell phones, no facebook, no twitter, no nothing.  Just us.  Talking and enjoying each other as friends do.  When's the last time you spent time alone (and without distraction) with God?

Seeking solitude was an important priority for Jesus.  He made room in his busy schedule to be alone with the Father.  He knew that spending time with God in prayer nurtures that vital relationship He needed, and we all need, to give us strength to meet life's challenges and struggles. 

You don't have to run 10 miles to get this.  Although I highly recommend it:).  Find a place of solitude.  For Jesus it was a mountain.  For me, it's usually a gravel road out in the country.  It doesn't matter where.  Develop the discipline of spending time alone with God.  It will help you grow spiritually and prepare you for the day and those to come. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for being there when I need you.  Please help me to put you first and make my alone time with you a priority.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment