Friday, January 31, 2014

thorn in the flesh

 even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud.  Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.  That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.  

2 Corinthians 12:7-10


If you've been running long enough, you will have a story or two to tell about injuries.  I, however, have a top 10 list going!  Seems like when one condition clears up, another one takes it's place.  

Yesterday I went to see my massage therapist.  Massages, in my opinion, are better than any therapy but that's another story.  While she was working on my piriformis, she asked why I wasn't talking about the pain.  It was then I realized that there was no pain.  It was gone!  So now I only have bursitis to worry about I sadly thought.  I was really questioning God on why I just couldn't be completely healed!!  Wouldn't I be a better witness?  Wouldn't I train better?  Couldn't I run more races?  The answer to that is a hard one.  By looking at the life of Paul, we can understand the reasons God may let us continue to have pains, struggles and trials.  And, yes, learn to be thankful for them.

When Paul, speaks of a "thorn in the flesh", he's not being literal.  We can't be sure if he is referring to a physical, spiritual or emotional affliction-or maybe something else entirely.  While no one knows for sure, Paul makes it clear that it was a real source of pain in his life.  

"To keep me from being conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations" is how Paul describes it.  So God's goal in allowing this thorn in the flesh was to keep Paul humble.  It must have been a constant reminder of the power of God.  Paul could have easily been overtaken with pride considering that he was commissioned personally by Him and had written, through the Holy Spirit,  a great deal of the New Testament.  

Just as with Job, God allowed Satan to torment Paul for God's own good purpose.  

No one likes to live in pain.  Paul cried out three times for God to help him.  But, instead of removing the problem, whatever it was, He gave Paul more overwhelming grace and compensating strength to deal with the problem.   Through this, Paul learned that "God's power is made perfect in weakness."

While we may never know what the "thorn" was in Paul's life, we can be certain it was something that, without faith and determination, would have greatly interfered in his ministry.  Through this pain, he became stronger by letting God show that his grace is all sufficient.  God has that same purpose for us all.  I've decided that I may never ever be free from pain or injury, but I will never let it stop me from serving God.  Like Paul, I will boast about my weaknesses so that Christ can work through me.  How about you?

Heavenly Father, thank you for being an all knowing and loving God.  Thank you for the pains, trials and struggles you allow us to go through to bring us closer to you.  May we experience your grace, power and strength through it all and sing your praises for changing us.  Amen.

2nd Annual Prairie Spirit Trail Ultra Race Saturday, 29 March 2014 Ottawa, Kansas Melissa and her teammates will endeavor to complete the 100-mile Ultra Race along the Prairie Spirit Trail. Please support them. Sponsor Team 413 at gracerunner413.blogspot.com or call 573-433-6684 or 573-774-4992 Missouri Team 413 Ambassador Melissa Martinez Members of TEAM 413 – GRACERUNNER MINISTRIES, INC. are raising funds to provide free Ultrasounds to women experiencing un-planned or crisis pregnancies in Pulaski County. All money raised will go towards training volunteer technicians and ultrasound maintenance at the Free Women’s Center. The Free Women’s Center empowers as many individuals as possible to make healthy life choices consistent with the intrinsic value of human life. The Center offers free and confidential pregnancy testing, ultrasounds, prenatal education, and financial & material assistance. Learn more at www.supportmyfwc.com.
Here's this link also for donations. https://www.egsnetwork.com/gift/gift.php?giftid=173BB95D-9D6E-4547-B8B6-0E9CE19D56F8.

No comments:

Post a Comment