Sunday, October 25, 2020

Slow down a little bit

“There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:” Ecclesiastes 3:1 NIV

Last Saturday morning, a group of my Team RWB friends and some of their friends from out of town set out to run the Marine Corps Marathon virtual. My plan was to show up, cheer them on, complete ten quick miles and then go home. But as it turned out, that didn’t happen. Why? Because as I listened to them laughing and talking behind me, I had this thought, “Why are you rushing through life again Melissa? You're always rushing! Have the events of 2020 not taught you that each day is precious and unpredictable? What is so important that you can’t just slow down and enjoy today?” At this realization, I stopped, smiled and turned around and ran back to join them. “I think I’m gonna hang with you guys for a little bit,” I said. And that “little bit” turned into the full 26.2 miles and the funnest marathon I have ever completed in my life.

And you know, life is short whether we live to be 8 or 80; it goes by quickly and we only get one go-around. And while the Bible tells us "that there is a time for everything," we rarely take the time to enjoy the “everything.” In this fast paced world, it seems the majority of people are always rushing here or there to get things done. And while every one of us will have our seasons when it seems there's so much to do and so little time (like when raising our families, going to school, or starting our careers), we would do well to take the time to enjoy the people around us and the things we fill our life with, being especially grateful for each and every day the Lord gives us. 

So slow down a "little bit" today my friend. Live in the moment and be thankful for the time you have right now. After all, there is a time and a season for everything and you can be sure this time and season will soon pass like all the ones before and you don’t want to regret the way you spent it. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for prompting me to slow down Saturday. I not only have memories that I will cherish forever but a renewed attitude and perspective about life. Help us all to live in the moment Lord so that we would appreciate the time we have right now rather than rushing to meet tomorrow's needs and worries. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

Keep me in the moment - Jeremy Camp

No comments:

Post a Comment