Tuesday, October 27, 2020

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION- Training is overrated

Hello runner friends! 
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series 
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog. Now let's get started by talking about something that may be on many runners' minds as we approach Marathon weekend. Did I train well enough to finish? 

So listen up... if you're having this thought, you're not alone. Every runner will wonder this at one time or another before stepping up to the start line. But if you trained well and are confident that you will complete your 13.1 or 26.2 miles, then you can skip the rest of this blog. However, if you're like the majority of runners, you'll want to keep reading on because this will give you hope. Over the weekend, I had the pleasure of running the Marine Corps Marathon virtual with a group of my military and civilian friends that wanted to get the awesome bling the MCM gives out each year and also to honor our Marines for their service to this awesome country. But guess what? Most of the runners hadn't trained at all! And those that did said their training wasn't good. But guess what else? All but one runner finished! Pretty good odds huh?

And while I won't say that the race didn't get "ugly" at times for many of those runners and that many of them were not left unable to walk or sit without noticeable pain or difficulty for days, they all finished and are sharing some tips to help you finish too. So if that's your goal, there's hope! But before I share a few of their stories, let me make a disclaimer... as a certified running coach, I do NOT advocate attempting a half or full marathon without proper training. But hey, it's 2020 and I'm not your coach, your conscience or your mom. So here goes...
Lorenzo on left
In 2017 I ran my first Marine Corps Marathon on less than 24 hours notice. I’ve always been a big believer in the body can do more than the mind thinks. I’ve proven it to myself over and over. In 2018, I completed the first ever Marine Corps marathon 50k and this year completed the first Marine Corps Marathon Virtual. I swore last year I was done with long distance and then the Marine Corps threw a curve ball and made this MCM even more special by adding volcanic ash from Iwo Jima. Being a Marine, I of course had to complete it. So I signed up, made a Facebook post and next thing I knew 17 friends were running it with me. So I made a route and off we went. To those who believe they need to run a lot of miles to “be ready” for a marathon, I am proof you just need to be physically active. Your mind is a powerful thing and your body is just as strong. Noakes says that the brain holds us back from pushing past a certain point. “There’s a control mechanism to make sure that you reach the finish line not in a completely, utterly wilted state,” he claims. “You always have a little reserve.” Or as some would interpret this, you can always push a little harder. (Mind Over Matter, No, really, it works! BY MACKENZIE LOBBY SEP 24, 2009) I couldn't agree more! If you can just push past those mental blocks you’d be amazed at what you can accomplish! - Lorenzo Valdivia

#teamnottraining because we talked about doing the marathon when they released info on the medal all those months ago and life got busy... so we went with the "you can walk 8 hours if you need to" mentality. I was a daily runner up until about five years ago. It started to hurt my body and yesterday solidified that it's not an activity I would go back to... but I did it! - Bri Sides with her husband Thomas

Being in the Army, everybody thinks you have to run miles on top of miles on top of miles to make you a better runner. My fitness journey started in the CrossFit realm where they believe you don't have to just run to be a better runner. So one day a few years ago, I ran 13.1 miles on my own just to say I did it and prove you don't have to run all the miles just to get out and run some miles. Now I did the Marine Corps Marathon virtual with no specific training and next month I'm doing a 25k trail run at Dogwood Canyon just to continue to prove the point. If you like to run, by all means, run your heart out. But if you don't like running, like me, just know you don't have to run all the miles to get better at running!!! - Craig Horstman

Betheny 2nd from left showing off the matching tattoos several of the runners got
I trained minimally for this race as my heart wasn't in the training this year due to all the things going on in our world. But I had done 6 marathons before this plus many other race distances so I knew my body was capable. Plus, I knew that by doing this with friends I would get it done no matter how long it might take. I also knew it would probably hurt more than if I spent more time training but that it would still be a fun, memorable experience and another great accomplishment. And when I hit a mental wall or started to get tired, I tried to focus on the positives or how capable my body was. I used other people's motivation to keep me going and just power through. Races are always more about just enjoying my surroundings and the excitement, ideally with friends or good company... not about a PR. - Betheny Johnson

I didn't have any formal training this time around, I just did something everyday. So definitely minimal training and more "junk miles" as a way to relieve stress and spend time with Jesus. And other than getting in a long run every weekend. I did a lot of what you did (meaning me and my taking the time to just enjoy the miles with friends): I just slowed down my runs and didn't stress over my pace. - Susie Montoya (who ran it in MD at the same time we ran here because she was inspired by what we were doing)

Stephanie is on the right
So for me it wasn’t about what interferes with my training. It’s about not necessarily getting the miles that everyone recommends under my feet. Regardless of the miles I did or didn’t do, I still was moving weight and training my body which I believe is a HUGE factor in the ability to finish the marathon. Marathons, while physical, are incredibly mental. You hit a point where the joints hurt and you have to turn your brain off. That’s how it was for me. I had to turn my brain off and just continue to move my body. I’m SO grateful for Jenni who stayed with me the whole way. She is the true hero but this was a mental win for me. I was able to do something that genuinely pushed me far beyond that comfort zone. I didn’t put the miles under my feet but I train my body under stress 5-6 days a week and that pays HUGE dividends in the ability to finish a race of this caliber. - Stephanie Valdivia

Michael is second from left
This past weekend I ran in the Marine Corps Marathon Virtual edition. Why would I do this? Easy... one word... FRIENDSHIP. I am part of Team RWB and a few years ago I met a couple other leaders at a training and we have been friends ever since. When the virtual option came up, one of them said “Hey I got a great idea....” Yep you know the story.... A few of us signed up and I had plenty of time to be ready. I am not the fastest but I do have a pretty decent marathon time and I run a lot so a marathon isn’t really that big of an issue so what the heck. I forgot to ask myself “what could go wrong?” but I found out. At the beginning of October I started having Achilles tendinitis issues and it sidelined me for about a month before the run--so you can basically say I wasn't trained for this. But I couldn't let my friends down so I rested and figured I could power through. Race day came and not only did my friends decide that we all would go though this together, Lorenzo actually talked 15 more friends into doing this. He is a very dangerous person!! To be around so many other veterans or veteran supporters plus going through this mental and physical event felt great. I would recommend you do a nice long run that pushes you as well. I don‘t necessarily recommend doing it untrained or undertrained, but if you do take your friends with you!!

And last but not least, I leave you with what runner Bill Hardwick had to say to Lorenzo Valdivia the day after he ran the MCM2020 virtual with absolutely no training when asked, "How are you feeling?" 
"Fine. Totally fine. Only hurts if I stand up or am sitting down or if I'm moving or if I'm holding still." 


So there you have it friends... if you are stepping up to the start line of the Bass Pro Marathon or Half Sunday and are untrained or undertrained, there is hope that you can still reach the finish line! It may not be pretty and it certainly won't be easy but you can bet it will be worth it when you claim your medal at the end. Heck, you might even want to celebrate your accomplishment by getting matching tattoos with your friends. 

Happy Running!!!









1 comment:

  1. Great article. As someone who signed up for my first MCM this year and then didn't train ... I will be attempting the same thing in 12 days... I hope all my mountain biking helps.

    ReplyDelete