Tuesday, October 13, 2020

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION - Hitting the reset button

Hello runner friends! 
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series 
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog. Now let's get started by talking about something that hundreds of runners make the decision to do each and every day to get their running and fitness back on track... they hit the reset button. 
What does it mean to hit the reset button you might wonder? And how can making a fresh start motivate a person to train harder or start training again after life derailed their plans? Simply defined, hitting the reset button means letting go of the past and making a fresh start free from any habits, hang-ups or expectations your old self had. It's making the decision to start over where you are at this very moment and move forward based on the ability you have today. To show you what this looks like in real life, I asked two dear friends that I ran with many years ago, even in several Bass Pro events, to talk about what got them off track and why they made the choice recently to hit that reset button so they could get back to pounding the pavement and hitting the trails. 

Laura at the finish line of her first marathon in 2012 

Meet Laura Murrieta. In 2012, Laura ran her first marathon and went on to run several more along with countless half marathons, trail runs and local races. And while she loved being a runner, she longed more than anything to be a mother. Something that finally happened in 2015. And then again in 2017 and again in 2019. Now in 2020, Laura knew it was time to get healthy once more. She new it was time to hit that reset button.

Laura getting active with her kids

In her words, "Well after being diagnosed with post baby depression after my last child, I made a choice that this is my year, my year of putting myself first and to stop having to start over. I've been working out constantly since January, on average 5 to 6 days a week. I have a membership with Ifit which puts out monthly challenges that rewards me with a magnet for completion and I make sure to sign up to keep dedicated. I don't have any life time goals right now. I'm just trying to love myself again--because in all honesty sometimes I have low points where I hate my body. I'm just being real. I'm thankful right now for reconnecting with old friends and enjoying the sport I once loved. I'm just trying to be the best me and get through one week at a time and focus on non scale victories because I hated my body and hated that I had to be on medication for depression. And I needed change." 

Laura now, getting in a workout with a friend

And this is why Laura needed to hit the reset button. She needed change! She went on to say, "I was tired of starting over. After having 3 kids in 5 yrs, I lost me and I'm fighting my way back. Since starting back (hitting the reset button) I've been able to get off my medication! I look forward to my time on the treadmill or out walking or running with a friend. That's my new medication! Lord knows I have laughed on walks and runs and I have totally broken down and cried, and I'm talking ugly cry, but I'm learning to put myself first because in doing so, I'm able to be a better wife and mother."

Kelly Scarbrough at her first marathon

Meet Kelly Scarbrough. In 2011 she ran her first marathon. She went on to run ten more 26.2 mile races and three ultras (including Dogwood Canyon 50K). In 2014, she was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in her knees but was able to continue running for several years until the pain became unbearable. That's when she took up bodybuilding until a torn labrum in her left shoulder forced her to quit that as well. 


Of her condition, Kelly said, "Being a very active person and having this disease in my back, torn labrum in my left shoulder and osteoarthritis in my knees was very depressing to say the least. But I knew God had a plan. After putting off surgery for a total hysterectomy for more than 10 years, it was time to do that in December 2018. After I recovered, I began to exercise again and started running small distances and even ran a 10K at the Frog Hill half marathon in 2019. But one day I noticed I was having extreme abdominal pain. I went to the doctor only to find out I had two hernias which forced me to stop working out because of the pain. I then had hernia bilateral surgery in June 2020. Finding my motivation after two surgeries back to back was hard; but since starting nursing school in August I needed a good stress reliever and running is a great stress reliever for me and a way to get into nature and enjoy God‘s beautiful creation. My goals are to be able to run again (preferably with no pain) but realizing that if I have to walk it’s not the end of the world. I know that we all go through trials and tribulations for a reason and it all in the end makes us stronger and better people and it humbles us. I realized through all this that I had developed a bit of pride in my later running years and during my bodybuilding years and I guess I needed a step back to realize sometimes that’s not what life is all about. It’s about serving God, loving others and doing good in this world. I know that I will probably never be where I once was with all of my health issues but I know that one day at a time I will slowly get there with friends and family driving me on and knowing that God is always good!"
Laura and Kelly back at it together earlier this week

"I am so blessed to have friends who encourage me and even convince me to run races with them. I currently have two races coming up too... a 15k with my beautiful sister in Christ, Laura, and a 12 miler with my beautiful sister Melissa. I thank God for my friends and my family and I'm so glad that I decided to hit the reset button."

Wow! Do you just love those stories or what? They're proof that no matter what age you are, what limitations you might be experiencing or how out of shape you might feel, you CAN start over! Each and every person CAN make the decision to be the best they can be now! So don't waste time looking back, you can't go there! Determine to make a fresh start today. Choose a goal that's achievable for you in this season of your life. That may be a 5k, 10k or even a half marathon. Whatever it is, make today the day that you hit that reset button!! You'll be so glad you did. 

Happy Running!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment