Sunday, October 18, 2020

Step out into the mission field

"He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation." Mark 16:15 NIV

Whether I'm running alone at home or solo in a new place (something I did while in Springfield over the weekend), I never start out with a definite route in mind. And while that might sound crazy to most runners who like to play it safe and embrace predictability, I prefer to follow the Holy Spirit's promptings no matter how reckless it might seem, going this way or that way as He speaks to me; a practice that always either leads me to something God wants me to see or to someone God wants me to interact with. So when I ended up doing laps around a brightly illuminated church parking lot for the first couple of my early morning miles yesterday, I couldn't help but wonder why I was there. But as I eventually felt prompted to leave and began running towards the exit, I saw the “thing” I was supposed to see... a sign strategically placed where each and every person leaving the church would have to pass on their way out, "MISSION FIELD AHEAD". 

Is that a great reminder or what? I mean, think about it. How many people go to church on Sunday only to leave "the building” thinking they’ve done their part? What I mean is this... the church is not a building. The church is you and me and every other believer who has put their faith in Jesus Christ. And "the church" has a job to do; a job that requires each member to step outside the four walls and share the Good News of the Gospel with the world. In fact, Jesus commanded “the church” to do this very thing when He said, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation." And that going into all the world starts in our own backyards because, whether you and I want to believe it or not, the United States is a mission field—a field that is filled with millions of people who have never heard the gospel.

So knowing that we are commanded to "go into all the world,” let me ask you this my friend... are you willing to go across the street today? Are you willing to tell your neighbor that there is only one way to eternal life? Are you willing to go into your workplace and tell your lost coworker about Jesus Christ? Are you willing to tell those in your running group? I sure hope so because the time is short and the message has to be heard. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the timely reminder that each and every believer is called to the mission field. For some that could mean going into a third world country, but for most it means going into our own backyards, towns and places of employment. Give us a boldness to step outside the walls of the church Lord to share the Good News. Give us an urgency to shine Your light. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment