Monday, October 19, 2020

Always choose joy

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10 NIV

After getting in a great workout yesterday morning, I walked into work with a bounce in my step and a smile on my face. "It's going to be a great day!" I said silently. But as I got closer to my office, I noticed that the door was shut. "Hmmmm...." I thought. "I don't recall having closed my door on Friday before I left." And that's when I saw the sign posted on it in red ink, "Beware. Your office Stinks!" And boy did it ever! Upon opening the door, I was immediately blasted by the smell of something so rotten it made me frown. And while I could have easily let the situation steal my joy, I didn't. I put that smile right back on my face and began looking for the source of the odor which I eventually found. It was the lunch I thought I had "lost" two weeks prior while directing a race. Someone had put it in a box where it was covered up with leftover medals and later placed in the closet in my office. And you know what? The discovery had me and everyone else in the building laughing about how it got there; all because I chose joy. 

And you know, when it comes to joy, the Bible tells us that "the thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy." You see, the devil hates the sound of our laughter, the sight of our smile and the joy we have in our hearts and will do whatever he can to steal it from us; something every Christian has experienced at one point or another. But guess what? The devil can't steal our joy unless we allow it because true joy is found in Christ. You see, our circumstances will always change but the One in whom we find our joy never does and if we keep our eyes on Him, we can’t help but find joy in every situation. 

So no matter what you might be going through today, choose joy my friend. Choose to remember that Jesus came that you might not only have life but "have it to the full." And choose to say, "Not today Satan. My God is still on the throne. My salvation is secure. I am a child of the Most High God. I know nothing can ever change that so I will smile and rejoice." 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that the devil would love nothing better than to steal, kill and destroy us physically, spiritually and emotionally. Help us to remember this in times when we are tempted to get upset or give up. Fill us with Your joy Jesus until we are overflowing so that we might pass that joy on the others. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment