Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Make sure you are ready

"And while they were going to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut." Matthew 25:10 ESV

As I began my run early yesterday morning, I couldn't help but notice that the morning was darker than usual. There was not even a hint of light from the moon or stars; something that wasn't a problem until my headlamp began to grow dim very quickly after setting out. "Oh no!" I said silently. "You haven’t changed the batteries since last year! It's no wonder they’re running out of power." Knowing I had to do something quickly, I made my way to the brightly lit Dollar General parking lot (right before the light went out completely) where I ran in circles waiting for the sun to come up. "Melissa," I chastened myself as I went around and around. "What you did was foolish! You've got to be ready!" And do you know what made the situation even worse for me? The realization that I had the money in my running vest to buy what I needed but the store didn't open until eight.  

And you know, when it comes to being ready, Jesus clearly laid out the consequences of not being ready for His return when He gave us the Parable of the Ten Virgins. In the parable, Jesus explained that there were ten virgins waiting to join the wedding procession, hoping to take part in the wedding banquet. But when the groom didn't come at a time they expected, five of them who were foolish and unprepared ran out of lamp oil. And by the time the five went out and bought extra oil, it was too late. "Those who were ready," the wise ones who had extra oil, had already gone in with him to join the marriage feast "and the door was shut." 

So let me ask you this... if Jesus returned at this very moment, would He find you ready? If He returned next week, would He find you prepared? I sure hope so my friend. Because when the door is shut, it will be shut forever... never to be opened again. So get ready and stay ready. Jesus is coming and soon we'll be going home... if we’re ready. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that we must be ready at all times for the return of Jesus. And since we don't know the day or time that will be, fill us with an urgency to be prepared at all times as we anxiously wait for the Son to return in the same way we anxiously wait for the sun to rise each day. As the days get darker Lord, help us to shine bright that others might be drawn to us and the message of Salvation we are commanded to deliver. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment