Monday, October 5, 2020

There is always room for improvement

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life." Psalm 139:23-24 NLT

If there's one thing I've learned from being a Race Director for nearly a decade, it's this... there is always room for improvement. In fact, no matter how well an event seems to go, I know there are without exception things that need to be altered, added, deleted, refined or tweaked. So when I put out a Facebook post yesterday thanking the runners for participating in our Frog Hill Half, Tadpole 10k and LEAPFROG 5K over the weekend and asking them for their input, I braced myself for their responses. And while most of the responses were positive, there were some negative comments; comments that very well could have offended or upset a person who wasn't willing to hear the truth in an effort to act upon it to make changes for the better. 

And you know, when it comes to self-improvement, David clearly understood that he was a sinful man. But he wanted more than anything to please the Father and to do His will. Which is the exact reason he begged God, "search me... know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you." David was asking God to point out his sins to him, even those transgressions buried deep within his heart and mind; that he might recognize and repent of those things that needed to be changed and in doing so allow God to lead him "along the path of eternal life." 

So knowing that we might not recognize our sins without the Lord pointing them out as well, may we make this prayer of David's our prayer too. After all, if you and I want to make changes for the better (and that should be the goal of every believer), we must consistently ask the Lord to point out those areas in our life that need improvement. That's the only way to ensure that we are on "the path of eternal life." 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that, although criticism might hurt, receiving it is the only way we can recognize the areas in our life that need improvement. Help us to pray as David did for You to reveal those sins we might not recognize that we might repent and turn from them so that we can grow closer to You and better impact the world we live in. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment