Monday, May 6, 2019

The former days

“Don't say, "Why were the former days better than these?" since it is not wise of you to ask this.” Ecclesiastes 7:10 CSB


Related image
Isn't that just like the devil? Here I was happy to finally be out on the trail again, after nursing a hamstring strain for four weeks, and the voice in my head says “So what if you’re running? Look how slow you are. Do you even call that running? You could've done double that mileage in the same time a month ago.” Recognizing the enemy’s attempt to steal my joy, I shouted out loud, “You know what? Who cares!” I then thought to myself, “I will celebrate what I can do today and not be sad for what I can’t.” And then, once again realizing how truly good God is, how much I had missed being outside breathing in the crisp spring air as I listened to the birds sing His praises, and what a gift the day and my ability to run again was I began to cry...  saying over and over, "Thank you Jesus, thank you Jesus, thank you Jesus."

You know, life changes. It’s just a fact. Each one of us is aging. And as this process we have no control over takes place, you and I will find that many of the things we used to do with ease now require more effort and more recovery time. But you know, we have two options when these inevitable changes take place - we can choose to thank God for the things we can do or lament over the things we can’t and ask, “Why were the former days better than these?” A question the Bible clearly tells us is unwise because it robs us of today’s joy and our ability to see each day for what it is... an undeserved gift.

So let me ask you a question. Regardless of your situation, have you taken the time to thank God for the air in your lungs today? For another day that is not deserved? If you haven’t, right now is a great time to do it - because, truly, today is a blessing my friend.

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that life is short at best and we should make the best use of the time we have. Help us to never give up in our pursuit to bring You glory Lord, no matter how age or injury might change the way we do it. And may we always choose to count our blessings no matter what our situation might be. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment