Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Back onto the right path

"Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. " Galatians 6:1 NLT


Image result for people talking pic
"I'm still not smoking," one of the patients at the medical office where I work part-time said when he came in the door yesterday evening. With a big smile on his face, he then added, "Do you know that today marks four months that I haven't smoked? And I have you to thank. You're the only one who cared enough to keep pointing out the reasons I needed to quit. You never said it mean though. That's the reason I listened." Smiling back at him, I simply said, "Aww... I just love you." And you know what? I truly do love every one of the patients we treat, so much so that I will do whatever it takes to get them "back onto the right path." 

And when it comes to a fellow believer who has been "overcome by some sin,” the Bible is clear that you and I are to help them get “back onto the right path.” How? By "gently and humbly" pointing out the transgression to “that person,” using the Word to confirm our conviction, and then helping them come to repentance and restoration. But guess what? Most of us, for fear of offending “that person,” aren't doing what we are commanded to do. And that is just not acceptable. 

My friend, you and I have to love our "brothers and sisters" so much that we would willfully risk losing their friendship at the sake of leading them back "onto the right path” - thus keeping them from experiencing the consequences that come from straying. After all, isn't that what friends are for? 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that we are to love our brothers and sisters so much that, if they have fallen into sin, we would do whatever it takes to lead them back to You. Help us to fear disobeying this command more than upsetting a fellow believer who has strayed. It's in Your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment