Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Season it just right

"Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." Colossians 4:5,6


Related image

Feeling the urge to reach out to a friend (and patient at the clinic where I work part-time) I hadn't heard from in a while, I sent a text, "Is everything okay? I was worried about you." Five minutes later I received a call from his daughter whom I had never met, "I'm so very sorry," she said. "I meant to call you. Dad died a few weeks ago. He told me all about you though and about how you had been sharing the Lord with him every month when he came in to see you, and how you always urged him to make the decision to follow Jesus before it was too late." With tears flowing down my face, I prayed and then said, "Do you know if he had made that decision before he died?" "Yes," she said. "Mom said he did just days before." Oh how I smiled at the thought of that.

And you know, when it comes to leading the lost to Christ, the Bible is clear that you and I should be gracious in our "conversation" with "outsiders," practicing wisdom in the way we salt our words. What does that mean exactly? Consider this. Our words have the power to lead people to Jesus or to turn them away. If we come on too strong or salty, the Message may not be flavorful. However, when we sprinkle the Message lightly, as I did with my friend over the eight-year period of our friendship, our words will be perfectly palatable for them to swallow, yet salty enough to make them thirst to hear more. 

So "make the most of every opportunity" you have to lead others to Christ my friend. But be wise and discerning of each individuals' readiness and capability to hear the Good News - and salt your words accordingly. But most importantly, don't give up no matter how long it takes. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that the same approach of witnessing does not work for everyone. Help us to be so sensitive to your Spirit that we would only speak the words that You have called us to speak ensuring that our conversation is seasoned "just right." It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!

No comments:

Post a Comment