Thursday, May 9, 2019

Just one

"He himself is the sacrifice that atones for our sins—and not only our sins but the sins of all the world." 1 John 2:2 NLT


Related image
With the busyness of preparing for upcoming graduations and end-of-school functions, I wasn't surprised when the usual participants of the Thursday night run group I'm blessed to teach at our local health department hadn't shown up. "Oh well," I thought to myself as I grabbed my keys. "I'll see them all next week." But just as I began to turn off the lights to leave, I heard a knock at the door. "Francis!" I said. "I'm so glad you're here! Come on in." Quickly realizing that none of the other runners were there, Francis said, "Oh you don't have to teach the class tonight, not for one person." "Of course I do!" I responded. "If there were 100 people or just one, I would most definitely do it." 

And can I let you in on a little secret? Jesus, who died on the cross to free "all the world" from the guilt and punishment of their sins, would have voluntarily and willingly suffered and died for the sins of just one person. It's true. He loves each and every one of us that much - and not just those who love Him back my friend. He loves the drug addict, the prostitute, the murderer, the thief, the adulterer and all those who have pushed Him away and cursed Him. Honestly, can you imagine a love so great? 

But guess what? It's no secret that as believers you and I are called to love others the same way Jesus loves us. And that means we are to love the lost, those who persecute us and those who might never love us back - with a love so great they would come to know Jesus because of it. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that You love us with a love so great that it might appear reckless to those who don't understand who You are. Help us to love others in the same way Lord that we might change our world for the better and lead the lost to the foot of the Cross. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment