Friday, May 31, 2019

Do things that truly matter

"'The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'" Matthew 25:40 NIV



“My dad told me one day: ‘When you’re walking and you meet a sick person on the road, help him. Do not leave him,’ so that was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw my friend on the ground.” Those were the words of Simon Cheprot after giving up the win at the Okpekpe International Road Race 10k in Nigeria when he stopped to help fellow Kenyan runner Keneth Kepkemoi after Keneth collapsed just before the finish line. Event promoter Mike Itemuagbor later said this of Simon, "He did not win any medals but he won hearts."

And you know, Simon's dad was indeed correct. You and I should never leave someone that needs our help - which means we must be willing to sacrifice our time, energy, resources, and sometimes even our victories without hesitation. And we gain this state of the heart that says, "Yes Lord, I will do your will above mine," by remembering that "whatever" it is that you and I do for others we actually do for Jesus. And the best part about this? When non-believers see our intense love for Christ reflected in this sacrificial love for our "brothers and sisters," He is glorified and the lost are drawn to Him. 

So strive to be a light in this dark world my friend by doing things that truly matter. Think of it this way, years from now no one will remember the person who won this race but they will always remember the man who willingly gave it up for his brother... just like Jesus gave up everything for us. Those are the only actions that truly matter. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the example of your Son, Jesus Christ, who showed us what it means to truly love others. He was willing to sacrifice everything He had for us. Help us to show that same love to our brothers and sisters knowing that the only actions that truly matter are the ones that have an eternal impact. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment