Sunday, February 14, 2021

Be the reason someone prays with joy

"I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, " Philippians 1:3-5 NIV


As I left church yesterday morning, I had to smile even as the bitter-cold wind slapped me in the face on the way to my car. It was two degrees, the snow was blanketing the road and yet I, because of my love for the Lord and my church family, had chosen to travel the 34 miles round-trip to worship in person rather than do online services. Similarly, the day before I had opted to join my running family for a group run outside despite negative wind chill temps so low that it sent the majority of runners 'running' to the treadmill. And I wasn’t the only one crazy enough to head out Saturday. Spurred on by their love for others in the group and their mission to hold their friends accountable, a brave (some might call crazy) thirteen of us laughed and chatted as we racked up some miles while enjoying the beauty of the bitterly cold morning. It just goes to show how much power "partnerships" can play in our success.

And you know, as these two examples clearly display, having strong bonds or relationships with like-minded people really can help us to be the best we can be in so many ways, both physically and spiritually. Paul certainly understood this concept when it came to spreading the gospel; as the church at Philippi had helped him in so many ways, financially, spiritually, and emotionally. And in helping Paul, the individuals in the church had helped the cause of Christ--so much so that Paul was overcome with thankfulness every time they came to mind. In fact, the Bible tells us that Paul prayed with joy because of this "partnership in the gospel from the first day until now." He knew, without a doubt, that their friendship and support were crucial to the success of the Great Commission

So knowing there is strength in numbers, let us continually seek out ways to come alongside our brothers and sisters to help them--and in doing so help the cause of Christ. Whether it be with an encouraging word, a hug, or a hand-out, let us strive each and every day to be the reason someone can "pray with joy."

Heavenly Father, thank You for those people in our lives who come alongside us and share the load to make things easier. May we express our gratitude to them and look for ways to make things easier for others in return. Remind us Lord that we are all in this together and are so much better when we pool our time, talents and resources for the common good. It's in Your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment