Monday, February 15, 2021

Dress for the elements

"Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." Ephesians 6:10-11 NKJV


With a real temperature of -4 and a feel like temp of -24, I knew I needed to have every part of my body covered before heading out to log some miles in the winter storm that was wreaking havoc all across the state early yesterday morning. Luckily it didn't take me long to find the clothing I needed either. Having had years of experience in dressing for the elements, I quickly put on waterproof trail shoes that could easily grip the snow and provide traction, double-lined ski pants, a long sleeve wicking shirt, a vest to keep my core warm and then a medium-weight jacket. And of course, right before heading out the door, I was sure to don a neck and face covering, a hat, some mittens, and an outer Gore-Tex shell that would trap my body's heat inside while repelling the snow, wind and cold coming at me from the outside. That may sound like a lot of work but let me tell you, it was well worth the effort. Training in every condition, I know, is the only way I can be ready for every condition come race day; training that is impossible to do without the proper gear. 

And you know, when it comes to being ready to fight the ''elements" Satan will inevitably throw at us, the Bible is very clear that you and I have every piece of gear or "armor" we need to "stand against the wiles of the devil." The thing is, though, most of us aren't putting it on and are wondering why we are losing the spiritual battles taking place in our lives. You see, the devil will do everything he can to lure or entice us to sin; using every devious and cunning strategy he can find. And if the devil is successful, we will lose the battle and suffer the consequences that follow. But guess what? To "be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might," which ensures our victory, we need only put on the whole armor of God. Did you get that whole part though my friend? Every piece of armor is crucial if we are to triumph over the enemy and his schemes. 

So be sure to put on the whole armor each and every day knowing the devil will come at you when you least expect it; and if there's a gap or opening in your gear, you can be sure he will find it. And remember... Satan doesn't take snow days and he never gives up. He wants to destroy you and your family, it's as simple as that. But guess what? He can't do that if you are suited up and ready. So be ready!

Heavenly Father, thank You for giving us everything we need to stand firm in the fight against our greatest enemy, the devil. Cause us to remember that he is cunning and crafty and that we can't let our guard down for even a moment. Give us a passion to pray and read the Word each and every day Lord that we might be able to suit up for the battles each day will hold. It's in Your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment