Wednesday, February 24, 2021

To live is Christ

“For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.” Philippians 1:22 NIV


As I finished up my run early Tuesday morning in town, I made my way to the parking lot where I work to walk a cooldown lap before heading into the office to shower (yes, I have the best job ever) and going to my desk. But on this day, having taken a few vacation hours to get in a longer training run than usual, I walked into the parking lot at the time when my coworker, Israel, was already busy directing traffic for our vaccination clinic. “Haha!” I joked as I approached him and pointed to my watch. “I have 34,000 steps already so you won’t beat me today! In fact, I’ll die before I’ll ever let that happen again (referring to the one and only day he ever got more steps than me and refuses to let me forget it)." “Better be careful what you say,” he replied jokingly. “God may take you up on that one.” Shrugging my shoulders, I smiled and said, “Oh well... to love is Christ, to die is gain. Either way I’m good.” “You’re so crazy,” came Israel’s reply as he stood there laughing and shaking his head.

And you know, that’s not the first time someone has called me crazy because of the way I view life. You see, while I truly love living, I know that I am here for the sole purpose of serving the Lord— something I wholeheartedly enjoy and strive to do each and every day. But as much as I love it, with every passing hour, I find myself growing more and more homesick and longing to be with my Savior. The apostle Paul certainly understood this which is the exact reason he wrote,” For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.” Paul was saying that he would gladly live for Christ until his dying breath but knew he would gain everything when he reached his final resting place... a place he desperately longed to be.

So how about you today? Can you declare like Paul, "to live is Christ and to die is gain?" I sure hope so my friend because it’s only when you and I are unafraid to die that we are truly free to live the life Jesus is calling us to... a life of wholehearted service and devotion focused on our sole purpose.

Heavenly Father, everything in this world is fading away and worthless compared to the priceless treasure of knowing You. Cause our hearts to grasp this today Lord that we might begin to view life through an eternal lens, serving you here to the best of our ability but anxious for the day when You will call us home. Free us from the fear of dying that we might serve You in ways that may seem reckless to the world but that will draw the lost to You. It's in Your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!


To live is Christ - Sidewalk Prophets

No comments:

Post a Comment