Monday, November 2, 2020

Despite our best intentions

And the Lord turned and looked at Peter. And Peter remembered the saying of the Lord, how he had said to him, “Before the rooster crows today, you will deny me three times.” And he went out and wept bitterly. Luke 22:61-62 NIV


Everyone loves a great comeback story right? I know I do. So when I read my friend Aaron Householder's post Sunday, I just had to share it. "I'm feeling grateful," he wrote. "Last weekend Lorenzo Valdivia put together a route for a group of friends to run the 45th MCM (Marine Corps Marathon). It was a decent route and 16 of the 17 people finished the route. Only one DNF. That one was yours truly. Anyway skip to Tuesday and I decided I wanted to take another swing at it so I plotted a route, gathered supplies, got encouragement from Kate Householder and Craig Horstman, set the date to November 1st and got ready. I started the adventure yesterday morning and proudly finished the marathon in 6:36:46. I say all that to say, I did it. I completed my first (and probably only) marathon."

And you know, when it comes to reaching our goals, there will be times in all our lives when we will fail despite our best intentions. It's just a fact. But failure doesn’t mean we can’t “come back” and finish the race like Aaron did. Consider the apostle Peter who, despite his best intentions, broke his vow to never deny Jesus no matter what happened. But the Bible tells us that's exactly what Peter did... three times. Can you just imagine the immense sadness, regret and disappointment he must have felt when the Lord turned and looked at him and he realized just how bad he had failed Him? The pain Peter must have felt when he remembered the moment Jesus said to him, "Before the rooster crows today, you will deny me three times?" Thankfully though, for Peter's sake and for ours, the Lord forgives and restores those who repent and gives them a comeback story in the process. 

So if you're feeling as if you've failed the Lord so miserably today that He could never forgive and restore you, think again my friend. If He can forgive and restore a man who denied Him three times, you can be sure He can and will do the same for you, no matter what you've done. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for being the God of second, third and one-thousandth chances. Lord, despite our best intentions we fail you each and every day and yet You still love us and grant us forgiveness and restoration when we confess and repent of our sins. It's so unfathomable that all we can say is thank You. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment