Monday, November 23, 2020

There is victory in Jesus

"Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin." Romans 7:24-25 NLT


As both the Race Director and a participant of several local ultra running events, I am used to saying and hearing, "I will never do that again!" In fact, I can't even begin to tell you the number of times I heard, "That's it. I'm done with long distance running. I will never do that again!" during and after the Bad Dawg Ultra that took place nearly two weeks ago. But just as I suspected, those same runners who swore to "never do it again" couldn't resist signing up for a 12-hour ultra that I posted a link to yesterday. "I know I said I'd never do this again," said one runner. "But what the heck. It looks like a lot of fun. Count me in!" 

And you know, as funny as this cycle is, many sins are just as difficult to resist and are repeated over and over; sins that cause pain and have us swearing, "I will never do that again!" only to do it again and again. Even the apostle Paul understood how sinful his flesh was when he declared, "Oh, what a miserable person I am!" Something many of us have probably said too when we have failed in our attempts to defeat sin. But guess what? We don't have to live a life that is "dominated by sin and death." Paul knew the answer to overcoming the temptation once and for all was and "is in Jesus Christ our Lord." Jesus has the power to free us! 

So if you find yourself repenting of the same sin or habit over and over (whether it's anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, bitterness, addiction or something else entirely), don't give up the fight my friend. Just because you've failed to find victory in the past doesn't mean that you can't do it today or even tomorrow. Keep pressing on in His strength. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for giving us victory though Jesus Christ your Son. Help us to understand that we are powerless to overcome sin in our own strength and must rely on You if we are to declare "Never again!" once and for all over the sin(s) that has taken us captive. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment