Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Be Coachable

“Before a downfall the heart is haughty, but humility comes before honor.” Proverbs 18:12 NIV

As I set out yesterday morning on what was to be my second to last shakeout run before the Bad Dawg 100 mile race on Saturday, I smiled as I practiced the 45/30 run/walk intervals my friend, Tiffany, suggested I do this time. Ironically enough, several years earlier as she and I were preparing to step up to the start line of our first 100 mile race together, I suggested she do 90/30 intervals (that’s 90 seconds of running followed by 30 seconds of walking from start to finish) rather than what she had planned that day; something she did and later said was crucial to her success in finishing under 24 hours. “Thanks for making me coachable Lord,” I prayed silently as I thanked Him for the timely advice while regretfully recalling the many times I had let arrogance keep me from seeing my need for improvement.

And you know, when it comes to being arrogant or prideful, the Bible tells us that “before a downfall the heart is haughty, but humility comes before honor.” You see, when you and I think more highly of ourselves than we ought to, we are unlikely to listen to anyone's suggestions since we deny there's any room for improvement; which is an attitude that will ultimately lead to our downfall or failure. Thankfully though, when you and I adopt a humble heart and attitude, we willfully acknowledge that we always have room for improvement and are more than anxious to listen to and explore ways to get better. 

So ask yourself this today my friend, "Am I coachable? Am I open to asking for and receiving feedback?" I sure hope so. Because if you want to be the best runner you can be, the answer has to be yes. More importantly though, if you want to continue growing in your relationship with Christ, the answer must also be an emphatic yes

Heavenly Father, thank You for being our Coach in this life. Help us to remember that we will always be a work in progress with room for improvement that we might stay humble and open to suggestions. Mold us to be the best that we can be Lord. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment