Thursday, November 5, 2020

Give it your best shot

"There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven--" Ecclesiastes NASB

On Saturday, November 7, my friend Sid Busch, who started running marathons in 1981 after a back injury in the Navy to prove he was still fit to serve on Submarines, will be running what he says will be his last Marine Corps Marathon (virtually of course) and the final marathon of his running career. "If not for the medal containing sand from Iwo Jima, I would never be attempting it," he said. "My plan is to do 3 miles an hour. That will give me a finish of 9 hours, which I will proudly accept. Gone are my days of fast marathons and 100 mile run training weeks, but I have to accept the fact that I am close to being 3/4 of a century old. I will give it my best shot." Do you just love Sid’s attitude or what? By the way, this will be his 206th marathon, something Sid says he does to honor the men and women in the military who have lost their lives.

And you know, just as there is "an appointed time for everything," there is a last time for everything too... a last time we send a child off to school for the first day, a last time we see our mom or dad alive, a last time we clock into work, a last time we hold the hand of a loved one, a last time we are able to run fast, and even a last time we cross a finish line. Which is the very reason you and I should be living to make every day count no matter what age we are right now. And we do this by serving the Lord to the best of our ability; refusing to buy into the belief that we somehow retire from service at a set age. 

So today and every day, adopt Sid's attitude and say, "I may not be able to do what I once did but I will give it my best shot" and then get out there and serve with all you’ve got! Attempt big things at every age knowing God will give you the strength to complete those things for His glory. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that we are to serve You by serving others all the days of our lives. If someone reading this is struggling to discover their purpose or calling, please reveal that to them God and give them the wisdom and strength to fulfill it that they might glorify You and lead others to the foot of the Cross. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment