Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Do unto others

“So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.” Matthew 7:12


While competing in the Indiana State Finals on Saturday, Ben Boardley of Penn High School saw a runner from an opposing team, Faizan Khan of Brebeuf Jesuit, stumble as spectators cheered on the athletes finishing the race. And although Ben was intent on doing his best for his team, he didn’t hesitate to stop in his tracks just before the finish line to help Khan to his feet and then hold him up as they ran together. "I just kind of saw it and did it. I guess that’s how my parents raised me," Ben later said. "They taught me to treat others how I'd want to be treated and to be helpful when I can. Because I knew if that was me, I wanted to make sure I’d finish at state.”

And you know, doing “to others what you would have them do for you," commonly referred to as the Golden Rule, is exactly what Jesus said “sums up” the very way “the law and the Prophets” said we should be treating others. Think about it... if you and I would simply treat other people the way we want to be treated, we would naturally obey all the law says about our relationships with them right? Of course. We would be kind, unselfish, patient, loving, generous and forgiving. And while that sounds like an easy concept, it’s much harder carried out because it usually costs us something; in this case, it cost Ben to drop back in his placing and could have actually disqualified him from the race. But you can be sure he would do it all over again. 

So no matter what it costs you today to treat others the way you want to be treated, whether it be time, money, awards or position, “in everything” just do it. I promise you will gain so much more than you will ever lose.

Heavenly Father, thank You so much for the timely reminder that we are your ambassadors in this world and that people will only want to seek You when we are behaving in a manner worthy of our title. Help us to put others before ourselves Lord that our actions might lead them to the foot of the Cross. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

Love - Newsboys

No comments:

Post a Comment