Sunday, July 5, 2020

Fullness of joy

“You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.” Psalm 16:11 ESV

selective focus photography of person reading book photo – Free Person  Image on Unsplash
Although I almost always wake up before my 5:30 alarm goes off, I took the extra precaution of turning it on Friday night so I would be able to spend time with the Lord before heading off to a 6:45 a.m. flag run with friends to kick-start the 4th of July celebration. But you can imagine my panic when my eyes opened up at 6:09 instead of 5:30! “Oh no!” I yelled as I jumped out of bed in a state of alarm realizing I had turned on the wrong alarm. “If I’m not on the road by 6:20 I’ll never make it!” Needless to say I was grateful that I had set my clothes out the night before and could quickly brush my teeth and grab a cup of coffee to go.

And while rushing to get to the run was most definitely worth the effort, I paid the cost of skipping that alone time with God when my usual over-the-top joy began to wane later that afternoon. I could literally feel it happening and I didn’t like it. So politely excusing myself from the family’s outdoor activities for a while, I went off to a solitary place to read my Bible which restored my joy in moments. You see, apart from God’s presence, there is only limited happiness; because the happiness the world provides is based on our circumstances which can take a turn for the worse at any moment. That’s why it’s absolutely crucial for every believer to regularly spend time in the Word to continually replenish this “fullness of joy” that each one of us needs to get through each day and is dependent only on our relationship with the Lord. So it comes as no surprise then that the closer we walk with Him the more abundant joy we will have. 

Maybe you’ve found your joy waning today too? Maybe you’ve even let anxiety and fear over the things going on in the world take it away completely. If that’s you, I have great news! You can easily find that “fullness of joy” you so desperately need again by simply spending time in the only place it can be found... in His presence. Won’t you do that today?

Heavenly Father, thank You for the immeasurable joy You put into the hearts of your believers when they choose to spend time in your Presence. Cause us to be people that seek You daily above all things that we might be filled with this true joy and spread it to a world so desperately in need of it. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment