Wednesday, July 1, 2020

The beauty of trials

"Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you." James 4:8a ESV

The Ghosts of Marches Past » Driving Like a Maniac
While driving into town for my morning run before work Tuesday, I happened to glance in my rearview mirror to witness a sunrise taking place that was so beautiful I had to slow down for a double take. “Wow!” I said to myself. “Sometimes it really pays to look back to see the beauty in life.” And then I had this divinely inspired thought, “Our tests and trials are the same way. They are beautiful when we look back at them even though they are ugly and painful when we are going through them."  As the realization of that absolute truth brought me to tears, I recalled the many times after coming out of a big test or trial I found myself saying, “I never want to go through that again Lord but I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything in the world.” 

And do you know why I can say that? Because every battle I have ever faced, especially the long drawn-out ones that I thought would break me, caused me to "draw near" to Him. And when I drew near to Him, He drew near to me. You see, tests and trials are the very things God will use to not only make us more like Him but to bring us closer to Him as we seek the guidance, peace, and comfort that only He can provide. And for that reason, we can look back at our troubles and tribulations and say, "I never want to go through that again but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything in the world." 

Perhaps you're in a trial right now and wondering what good could ever come of it? If that's you, hold tight to the faith my friend. I've been where you are and I can tell you that if you do not give up but draw near to God instead, you will one day look back at this time and say, "Man, that was beautiful." 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the lessons learned in the trials of life and for making all things work together for the good of those who believe in You. Help us to stand firm in the faith as we encounter the hardships and persecution that are sure to come our way in these last days. Cause us to draw close to You so that we will have the peace that surpasses all understanding no matter how chaotic the world around us might become. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment