Sunday, July 26, 2020

Store the Word

“I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” Psalm 119:11 NIV

As I descended to the bottom of a hill worthy of having its’ own name on my run before church yesterday morning, I lost internet signal causing the worship music I had been listening and singing along to (very loudly and passionately I might add) on my favorite Christian radio station app to abruptly go silent. “No worries,” I thought to myself. “I’ll just play the music that I downloaded.” And just like that, with a few finger swipes of my phone's touchscreen, I was back to singing praise songs ever thankful that I had stored the music on my phone where it wasn’t dependent on an internet signal.

And you know, while hearing the Word through music is definitely one way you and I can take it in so that we can recall it later, the best way is by reading it, meditating on it and memorizing it—something the psalmist clearly understood to be extremely important in keeping himself from sinning against God. In fact, the psalmist said that he had “hidden” the word in his heart for that very reason. And hidden means that he not only stored the Word there, but kept it tucked deep down, where it was protected from being snatched, removed or tainted. In other words, the psalmist cherished the Word (as every believer should) so much that he treated it like the priceless treasure that the Word is.

So if you have not made studying the Bible your number one priority my friend, I would highly suggest that you move it to the top of your list right now and keep it there. Doing so will not only help keep you free from sinning against God but will put the other things on your priority list and in your life into their proper place. The Word is that powerful.

Heavenly Father, help us to understand that we will never walk the Christian walk the way we were intended to do if we don’t feast on your Word. Give us a hunger and thirst for it like we’ve never felt before that we might be ready and equipped for the days to come.. Prepare our minds then to read and store the pages in our hearts so we can be prepared. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!


Your Word - Hillsong Worship

No comments:

Post a Comment