Monday, July 13, 2020

Seek His guidance in all matters

"After this David inquired of the LORD, “Shall I go up into any of the cities of Judah?” And the LORD said to him, “Go up.” David said, “To which shall I go up?” And he said, “To Hebron.'" 2 Samuel 2:1 ESV

The Simple Act of Prayer | Listening to my Hair Grow
Having learned that the first key to achieving a goal is to tell someone about it so there’s no backing out, I made my goal public Sunday by posting, "Today marked day one of training for my third 100 mile race. It has been the desire of my heart for some time and something I’ve been praying on for months." I then added, "I will most definitely have to train differently than I have done in the past but trusting God to reveal that to me at the right time." Why did I mention the training? To remind myself to pray over every part of the training process. You see, although I'm a running coach, I never consult training plans. In fact, I don't make a plan for myself as I would for someone I coach. I simply pray that the Spirit would reveal the plan as I need it and then I do it. And while I'd love to say that I've always been obedient, there have been a few times when I acted on my own to do what I felt was the obvious thing to do and paid for it later. 

And you know David was also a person who believed in inquiring of the Lord when making plans. In fact, the Bible tells us that although David knew he was to become the king over Judah, he first "inquired of the Lord, "Shall I go up into any of the cities of Judah?" And the Lord said to him, "Go up." But rather than just heading out, David asked, "To which shall I go up?" And the Lord answered, "To Hebron." You see, David knew that if he was to serve the Lord in the right way, he needed specific guidance. And just as it is with you and me, David avoided sin and pain only when he sought God's plan and followed it rather than just doing what he thought was the obvious thing to do. 

And while it’s obvious from scripture that you and I should pray about everything, most of us don't. Especially when it comes to the day-to-day stuff that might seem trivial. But God wants us to seek His specific guidance in every area of our lives. After all, He made us and knows what's best for us. So before moving ahead with what may seem obvious today, consult the Lord first my friend.  You'll save yourself a whole lot of heartache later if you listen to Him now. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that You want us to seek You in all matters. Help us then to make prayer our first priority rather than a last resort. Cause us to seek your guidance about all matters Lord that we would not be led astray by the day-to-day and obvious stuff that seems trivial but is anything but. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment