Wednesday, October 9, 2019

The unconventional talent

"God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another." 1 Peter 4:10 NLT


Image result for marathon pacer pic

When I was asked to pace the 4:45 group at the upcoming Bass Pro Marathon, I was overjoyed! You see, not only do I love this 26.2 mile race but I absolutely love pacing because of the opportunity it gives me to use my God-given talent of being able to talk for hours-on-end to help a runner keep his or her mind focused as they make their way to the finish line. And if you think that's not a talent, have you ever tried running for nearly five hours straight while attempting to be witty and keep a one-sided conversation flowing, all the while keeping a consistent pace? So you see, it really is a talent... one I'm so thankful to have because of the many doors it has opened to share the Gospel. 

And you know, a talent is defined as a natural ability to be good at something, especially without being taught--which means it's something we are usually born with. Just ask my mother who says I've been talking nonstop from the day I could form a word. And while you might not have been born with a 'conventional' talent such as the ability to sing well or play the guitar in the church praise band either, we all have at least one thing we are particularly good at. But no matter what talent you and I have, there's one thing our "great variety of spiritual gifts" have in common. They were all given to us by God to "serve one another."

So find what you do well my friend and use your gift to share the Good News and to help others. And remember, even the most 'unconventional' talent can benefit someone when God puts us in the perfect spot to use it. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that even the most unconventional talents can be used to bring You glory and draw others to the foot of the Cross. Help us to determine the things we are good at Lord and to be obedient in going where You call us so our talents can be used to serve others well.  It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Nobody - Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment