Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Just breathe

"You have allowed me to suffer much hardship, but you will restore me to life again and lift me up from the depths of the earth. You will restore me to even greater honor and comfort me once again." Psalm 71:20,21



On many mornings I like to end my long or hard runs with a leisurely jog around the town's cemetery. There's just something peaceful about it with its old oak trees and packed gravel trails interweaving between the markers that I find comforting. On one such morning just recently, I came upon a mother placing flowers on her son's grave. Unfortunately I knew the story all too well-several years earlier the young man had died of a drug overdose and she was left to mourn his passing. So as I discreetly watched her finish her work and then sit quietly beside his headstone, I praised the God of all comfort and prayed that she was experiencing his peace at that very moment. 

While I don't know why bad things happen, I know they do (even to the most faithful Christians). Sometimes they are because of our bad choices and sometimes not. What matters though is, when they happen (and they will), we have a God that loves us so dearly that we can call on Him. In Psalm 71, the Psalmist says, "You have allowed me to suffer much hardship, but you will restore me to life again and lift me up from the depths of the earth." If that promise wasn't good enough, we are then given this one, "You will restore me to even greater honor and comfort me once again."

Maybe you're experiencing this kind of sorrow today? The kind that knocks you to the ground and leaves you feeling as if you will never be able to get back up? Just breathe my friend. Call on the Lord and allow him to restore you to life again for He is indeed the God of all comfort and restoration. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for loving us so much that you personally would be our comfort, our strength and our encourager when we are going through hardship. Help us to remember that you are a constant source of peace during those times we feel our life is out of control. Oh Lord, praise you for your promise to "comfort me once again." It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

www.team413.org

Tell your heart to beat again - Danny Gokey

No comments:

Post a Comment