Monday, March 7, 2016

Little Rock Marathon 2016

"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand." Proverbs 19:21


Wow! What a day it was yesterday running the Little Rock Marathon. Preparing for the 7:00 a.m. start had me in the hotel lobby pretty early for breakfast. And as I waited for my friends to join me, I sat next to a few anxious runners (two first time marathoners and one who I felt needed some encouragement) and shared some helpful tips on making it to the finish line. As they seemed to still be worried, I testified about the power of Christ in my life and hoped that they knew Him as well. They did! As one of those new friends wiped away her tears and thanked me for the reminder, she said she hoped that she would see me on the course. To that I placed my bracelet on her wrist that read, "I can do all things though Christ who strengthens me", and replied, "If God's purpose is for you to see me, then you can count on it."

And wouldn't you know that is exactly what happened! With about 8 miles left in her race, I saw her after the turnaround about 100 feet away (and about 2 miles behind me). As I shouted some motivating words to her, she smiled joyfully, lifted up her wrist and pointed to the bracelet. With about 6,000 runners in this race, that was no coincidence! You know what's funny though? To have been at that exact spot to see her required many variances in pace and terrain which allowed me to finish with a chip time of 4:13 (think Philippians 4:13, the verse on the bracelet), something that has never happened! Oh God was indeed determining each one of my steps as he was hers.

Proverbs 16:9 tells us that, "We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps." and Proverbs 19:21 says that, "Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand." You see, when you are a Christian runner, you can plan your race and you can even plan your finish time but God's purpose will prevail. That's something that is true of our lives on and off the race course though. We can map out our day and make a check off list for each thing we need to do and the time it needs to be done but you and I should be open and willing to having our plans 'interrupted'.

So today, if you find things not going as scheduled, take a moment to look around. It could be that God has a purpose for you... one worth welcoming a change of plans for. 

Heavenly Father, how amazing it is to see you working in us to help and encourage others! May we welcome with joy, and humility at being used, those changes in our plans to fulfill your purpose. May we allow you to determine our steps each and every day as we surrender our will for yours. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

I will go - Big Daddy Weave
Blessed to have met another TEAM413 member, Larry, who very soon after this photo was taken found out that his mother was rushed to the hospital (back in Los Angeles) and texted his new friends for prayer that he would make it home to see her in time. God's timing is perfect as our 'meeting'  allowed us to pray for him. 
Blessed to have these crazy friends who share the passion of reaching the lost and being an encouragement to others!

*This was a really well organized race. The course had a variety of twists, turns and hills to keep your mind focused and I loved the turnarounds which allowed a person to see (and encourage) runners coming in the other direction. The medals were huge and the post race gathering spot a welcome relief for tired runners. God willing, my friends and I agreed that we would most certainly be back next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment