Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Disappointed?

"Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 8-10




"I HATE NYC I NYRR I HATE HATE HATE EVERYONE". "The good news is I got rejected a lot quicker this year than the last two years". "I'll keep dreaming big but I'll admit I am a little bummed!". Those were just a few of the tweets deemed the '12 Saddest Tweets' posted on March 8th in reponse to not being accepted into the NYC Marathon. As you can see, there were very different responses to the way these runners dealt with their disappointment. As Christians, we too will experience disappointment throughout our lives. And how we deal with those letdowns will most certainly bring others closer to Christ or have them running quickly in the opposite direction.

In 2 Corinthians, the apostle Paul pleaded with the Lord three times to take away that 'thing' that was causing him grief. But each time the Lord responded, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." While I'm sure that answer brought great disappointment to him, rather than being discouraged or angry, Paul chose to accept it graciously and take comfort in it saying, "So now I boast about my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong." Can you imagine the influence he had on those around him? They witnessed Paul's unshakeable faith and trust, in the midst of being disappointed, that God's plan was far better than his own.

Perhaps you're experiencing disappointment today too? May you and I be like Paul trusting that the Lord has better things in store for us. And may we rejoice in our circumstances, good and bad, that others might see our faith in Christ and want to have a personal relationship with him too. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for reigning supreme in our lives and for mapping out the perfect course for us. Although we may not know why things happen Lord, help us to have faith that you are working it out for our good and for your glory. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

In Me-Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment